Monday, March 10, 2008

Sheer Display of Arrogance

If I had a choice I won't be blogging much yet as to relive my birthday blogs but apparently just had something that pissed me off big time and I think I did have frost bite from the arrogance displayed by one of the supporting service line from our auditors...

It's a hectic day with the morning spent with series of meetings between 2 banks... I'm packed with meetings since last week 'til I go to Taipei this Friday... Had a great lunch at Shanghai Bistro with Jing and Marose... and as soon as I went back I wanted to rush the 10 year forecast to be able to send the infomemo to the investor before he left the country... then came a request for a meeting from our audit team since their FSRM service line would want to meet us, the client...

And then came the arrogance... It's not really an issue on what the senior was discussing but it was the approach in which he laid out what he is discussing... He didn't even sound convincing but he tried to force his point which 100% never works with me... I don't even think there was any item to discuss though it seems that he was too competitive and doesn't listen to any other points raised by the me and our auditors... Well, then if he didn't want to listen he should just have recorded what he has to say and let us just hear him on a recorder... Maybe the player would have more charisma than him... and the ultimate insult, after the meeting he just turned his back and left...

For the years I've been with audit, I never showed any tinge of arrogance since I know this is a service activity... unless all the changes in the standard have revised that deifinition as well... I've never really turned my back on my audit roots... In fact I was almost always at odds with treasury on delays in collection of our auditors and have made it a point to make their life easier... but for pissing me of on an impromptu meeting when I have so much to do... I am now having second thoughts...

Modesty aside, I've worked with more senior and experienced directors and partners on audit and yes even FSRM related matters and I can't remember a time I was treated this way... Yeah, the item he was discussing was simply a valuation procedure of receivables... hey I forgot I did more complex valuations than this as an auditor and as a client...

I don't wish to flaunt my position or my exposure, except maybe to headhunters, but for people like this, it's real tempting to do such a thing... Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I know but it's more of who I am... and I am not an know-it-all individual who force his ideas on people... There's always ways to package your ideas in a more appealing presentation and the appeal is derived from listening not just forcing your ideas...

I don't usually get pissed off since I've been through tougher situations and not specially at people since I believe that no matter how annoying people can get, there is still a good in them... but for this once I'm definitely pissed off at someone and not for something... and it's not even a nerve-wracking problem but just a wrong approach by a self important nobody... =<

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naks...relax lang...

Franc said...

Kaya nga blinog ko na... baka sa higher ups pa ako maka complain... super stressful na... even yung booking request ng fave boss mo dati... napagalitan pa ako ng treasury... pero anyway, the end of our hard times is near... hehe...