Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My 2011 Favorite Races

I wanted to do a top 5 out of the 21 races I've joined this year but I'm getting 7 on my mind so might as well go with 7 on the list.  This list is based on how I enjoyed, the innovations made and the overall challenge of the race.
Photo credit: Estan Cabigas
Runrio could easily dominate any top list though for some scheduling conflicts, I was only able to run 3 Runrio race during the year and 2 of them would be in this list.  Globe Run for Home had a unique treat of running in the Ayala Avenue coming from the Fort area.  This is my second 15K run and it was a good arena as the race area was well defined, hydration stations are sufficient and results came out immediately.
Photo credit: Daisy Mae Castaneda
Greentennial has also been creative and innovative in their races.  Greentennial Run was my first 15K run and it was fun with a capital F U N. It was a photography haven with those jump and look back shots.  It also had sprinklers along the race course and hydration was overflowing.  The course was well plotted with a combination of the Fort and Buendia Area in Makati.
The running along the perimeter of Subic Bay and fresher air sets the Subic International Marathon apart.  Subic Marathon has been my first race of 2011 and was my first shot at closing in on sub 60 for 10K.  I enjoyed the race and running along side physically fit policemen makes it a little more competitive.  It's also refreshing to see the Subic Bay on some areas of the course and it also helps that the course is straight in chasing a good time.
Photo credit: Pinoyfitness
Scenic Tagaytay Highlands was the backdrop. 2 to 3 kilometers climb was the challenge.  Environment friendly run was the advocay.  This is what sets Nathan Ridge Run apart.  It was indeed a tough course or as they say race redefined.  Despite the difficult climbs you get rewarded by a nice view of Taal Volcano in the cold mist of the morning.  It was also nice to take those suicide plunge on the descents to make up for lost time.
Photo credit: Leo and KB Photography
Phenomenon is definitely the king of hardcore when it comes to race organizers and the best of their brainchild is Corregidor International Half Marathon.  It's on a league of its own with an upmountain experience combined with a trail run plus you get to see all the scenic and historical structures in Corregidor and a view of the ocean at some points.  It does also give you an eerie experience crossing 3 times in a dark Malinta Tunnel.  It's definitely a great culminating race for your running season.
Photo credit: Runners' Runner
Condura will always be among the best race in the country in any year.  Going up the skyway and seeing the city from the top is not only thing that sets the bar high when it comes to Condura.  They also have seamless execution of every race detail from singlet design, registration, water stations, race marshall until you cross the finish line and claim your finisher kit making the participant focus more on the run part of the race.  It always support a cause and aims to get better after every staging.
Photo credit: Spartan Runner
On the 2nd straight year, I selected Adidas KOTR as the race I transition to the next level.  I moved to 10K in 2010 and 21K in 2011.  Adidas on its own is one of the top races in the country but if you partner it with Runrio, you get an unbeatable combination.  It made the event bigger with a S.E.A Championship accross 5 countries. The Philippine staging was flawless to the tiniest details, even the weather cooperated as it was a cool morning at race day. Definitely my top race for the year and I did spend time to train for this one.
2011 Racing
There goes my favorite races for the year.  Of course, each race I ran is a different story and experience and most of the time, I just focus on the positive part of the race.  If there's one thing I learned on the races I joined is that it's my race, my responsibility.  At the end of the day, what matters is that I gave it my best shot whatever race conditions are.

No comments: